May 16, 2010
Replace the rear bank knock sensor and build a dam (wall) around the sensor using RTV to divert water away from the sensor. Use the procedure and part number listed below.
1. Remove the intake manifold. Refer to the Intake Manifold Replacement procedure in the Engine Controls sub-section of the appropriate Service Manual.
2. Remove the wiring harness assembly from the knock sensor.
3. Remove the rear bank knock sensor.
4. Install the new rear bank knock sensor. Tighten Tighten the knock sensor to 20 NÂ·m(15 lb ft).
5. Install the wiring harness assembly to the knock sensor.
6. Apply a bead of RTV silicone sealant approximately 9 mm (3/8 in) wide and 6 mm (1/4 in) high along the outside edge of the ridge on the engine block valley cover around the rear bank knock sensor. DO NOT form a complete circle. Leave the rear section open as shown.
7. From the underside of the intake manifold, completely remove the rear intake manifold seal (foam material).
8. Install the intake manifold. Refer to the Intake Manifold Replacement procedure in the Engine Controls sub-section of the appropriate Service Manual.
Part Number Description Qty
10456603 Sensor, Knock 1